Athlete Pathway Travel Grants Program
The Athlete Pathway Travel Grants Program provides grants to improve Victorian athlete development pathways from community to national representation level. Support is available to assist community sport and recreation athletes, coaches, officials and teams with the travel costs of participating in training and competition, and for high performance Victorian athletes and teams to compete at national championships or selection events.
The program has two funding categories:
Category 1: State Sporting Associations
State sporting associations recognised by Sport and Recreation Victoria (or if no state sporting association, the relevant Australian Sports Commission recognised national sporting organisation) can apply for up to five grants per funding round on behalf of Victorian teams or individuals for travel to compete at national championships and/or an event or series of events constituting national selection trials.
- Grants of up to $6000 are available for teams with a maximum of $1000 per team member.
- Grants for individuals are available up to a maximum of $2000.
Category 2: Community Organisations
Victorian community organisations delivering sport and active recreation opportunities can apply for up to two grants per funding round of $750 each to assist athletes, coaches, officials and teams with the travel costs of training and competition. A maximum of two grants will be approved to any organisation in any calendar year.
What types of activities might be funded?
Travel and accommodation costs associated with competing at a national championship or an event or series of events constituting national selection trials. Applications may be submitted for an individual athlete or team/squad.
Travel and accommodation costs for athletes, coaches, officials or teams that are required to travel to train or compete. For example an athlete that is regularly required to travel to train with a state squad, or a regional club that is required to travel to a number of other towns in order to compete in their local competition.
What will not be funded?
The Athlete Pathway Travel Grants Program will not fund the following:
- costs other than travel and accommodation
- travel that occurs before the eligible commencement date for each funding round (i.e. the following 1 January or 1 July)
- travel costs for people accompanying athletes (for example parents)
- athletes who receive financial or in-kind assistance from the Victorian Institute of Sport or the Australian Institute of Sport
- athletes who have received a grant under this program in the previous funding round
- athletes aged under 12 years as at 1 January in the year of the grant (some exceptions in gymnastics may be considered)
- applications from schools, hospitals, or individual applications seeking more than the eligible maximum amount for that category
- late, incomplete, or handwritten applications.
- Athlete Pathway Travel Grants Program (pdf, 3.78 MB)
- Athlete Pathway Travel Grants Program (doc, 134.5 KB)
Category 1: Applications may be submitted by state sporting associations recognised by Sport and Recreation Victoria or where there is no recognised state sporting association a national sporting organisation recognised by the Australian Sports Commission.
Category 2: Applications may be submitted by Victorian community organisations delivering sport and active recreation programs.
Victorian residents living close to state borders who do not have reasonable access to a Victorian club should contact their local regional sports assembly for assistance with the application process under Category 2.
Applications will be considered in two assessment rounds each year as detailed in the table below:
2016 Funding Round 1
- Activity Commencement Date: 1 January 2016 – 30 June 2016
- Applications Open: 24 August 2015
- Applications Close: 30 September 2015
2016 Funding Round 2
- Activity Commencement Date: 1 July 2016 – 31 December 2016
- Applications Open: 21 January 2016
- Applications Close: 10 March 2016
There are some important steps to consider before submitting an application.
Step 1: Check your eligibility
Check the detailed information contained in the program guidelines to see if your organisation and your proposed activity is eligible.
Step 2: Apply using Grants Online
Make sure you have the information you need on hand including required documents, and click on ‘Start new application’ to submit your application through Grants Online. You will receive an Application Number when you submit an application online. Please quote your Application Number in all correspondence relating to your application.
Start new application:
Category 1: State Sporting Associations - Apply now
Category 2: Community Organisations - Apply now
To access a saved draft application visit Grants Online web site
Program area and assistance
Read more about Sport and Recreation Victoria
For general Sport and Recreation Victoria grant enquiries:
Phone: 1300 366 356 for the cost of a local call (except from mobile phones); or
Open Monday - Friday, 8.30am - 5pm except public holidays