Role of Sport and Recreation Victoria
Sport and Recreation Victoria is located in the Department of Health & Human Services.
Sport and Recreation Victoria maximises the economic and social benefits provided to all Victorians by the sport and recreation sector through:
- ensuring greater access and opportunities for participation in sport and recreation by all Victorians
- maintaining Victoria's reputation as Australia's leading state for sporting and major events
- improving the quality of community sport and recreation facilities
- strengthening the capacity of sport and recreation organisations
- continuing a robust evidence base for activities in the sport and active recreation system
- reinforcing the enriching role that sport and recreation plays in people's lives.
Sport and recreation plays an important part in the lives of individual Victorians and helps shape community identity. Sport and recreation opportunities provide settings for social interaction, sharing common interests and enhancing a sense of community.
The continued development of the sector relies on the collaborative efforts of individuals and organisations across the not-for-profit, private and government sectors. Such collaboration maximises the contribution of all players whether at grass roots or elite levels, and engages volunteers and professionals alike.